Osteoprotegerin and zoledronate bone effects during orthodontic tooth movement
MetadataShow full item record
de Cos F.J.
Objectives: To assess the effects of local delivery of recombinant fusion protein osteoprotegerin (OPG-Fc) and bisphosphonate zoledronate on bone and periodontal ligament in a rat tooth movement model. Materials and methods: Maxillary first molars of 36 male Sprague-Dawley rats were displaced mesially using a calibrated spring connected to an anterior mini-screw. Two different drugs were used: a single dose of Zoledronate (16 μg) and a twice-weekly dose of OPG-Fc (5.0 mg/kg) were injected. Tooth movement was measured on scanned plaster casts. Structural and immunohistochemical analysis of the orthodontic-induced changes in bone included receptor activator of nuclear factor K (RANK), Runx, type 1 collagen, matrix metalloproteinases (MMPs) 2 and 9, tissue inhibitors of metalloproteinases (TIMPs) 1 and 2, and vimentin. Results: Both groups showed a reduction in mesial molar displacement. Animals receiving OPG-Fc demonstrated only 52%, 31%, and 21% of the total mesial molar displacement compared to control rats at 7, 14, and 21 days, respectively (*p < 0.001). For rats receiving zoledronate tooth displacement decreased significantly with 52%, 46% and 30%, respectively (*p < 0.001). At 14 and 21 days, OPG-Fc group showed significantly less molar displacement than the zoledronate group (*p < 0.001). RANK, Runx, vimentin, MMP-9 and tissues-inhibitor metalloproteinase 1 immunoreactivity were reduced in zoledronate treated animals and even more in OPG treated animals. Conclusion: Local delivery of OPG-Fc or zoledronate inhibits bone resorption and therefore tooth movement. OPG-Fc was more effective than zoledronate in blocking the action of osteoclasts. © 2016 John Wiley & Sons A/S.
Showing items related by title, author, creator and subject.
Bone resorptive activity in symptomatic and asymptomatic apical lesions of endodontic origin (2020) Salinas-Muñoz M.; Garrido-Flores M.; Baeza M.; Huamán-Chipana P.; García-Sesnich J.; Bologna R.; Vernal R.; Hernández M. (Springer Verlag, 2017)
Book ChapterCobo T.; Cobo J.L.; Pérez-Varela J.C.; Vega J.A.; Cobo J. (Springer New York LLC, 2019)
ReviewFernández-González F.J.; Cañigral A.; López-Caballo J.L.; Brizuela A.; Moreno-Hay I.; del Río-Highsmith J.; Vega J.A. (Medicina Oral S.L., 2015)